Sports injury does not need to take place only during a strenuous sport such as football. A nonviolent game or even running a marathon can cause you sports injury. The path to getting well soon includes sufficient rest, icing the wound, compression and keeping the leg at an elevated position. This procedure must be followed irrespective of the type and amount of knee injury.
The most common sports injuries include
- Ankle Sprain
- Hamstring strain
- Groin pull
- Shin splints
- Knee injury
- Tennis elbow
I am most prone to knee injuries. I once hurt my knee in a fall and ever since the smallest hit on my leg and I am forced to take a week off to help my knee recuperate. I love my knee brace. It gives me the exact support that I need to become better. Finding the right knee support is very important because it can make all the difference between healing and make it worse.
How to prevent common knee injuries
- Ensure proper warm up and cool down before a workout or a game.
- Wear the right gear. Be it a knee guard, a knee brace or the perfect shoes, everything that is needed must be used correctly.
- Avoid overuse and abuse of the knee. The moment you feel the slightest pain, do not neglect it. Ice it and let it rest. Wear the knee guard and see how the compression helps. Prevention is better than cure.
- Pre-participation training is vital for any team sport or strenuous activity such as hiking. Never jump in without sufficient planning.
- Learn to stop when you feel it. Do not wait for the injury to become more pronounced.
Whatever happens, always consult the doctor. Do not presume to know your body and take self-medication.